Borno
Zulum Assures Parents of Safe Return of 48 Abducted Pupils in Borno
Zulum Assures Parents of Safe Return of 48 Abducted Pupils in Borno
By Tada Jutha, Maiduguri
Borno State Governor Babagana Umara Zulum visited Uba town in the Askira/Uba Local Government Area on Tuesday to sympathise with the families of 48 residents, mostly schoolchildren, who were abducted by gunmen in the Mussa community last Friday.
During the visit, the governor assured parents and guardians that the federal government, security agencies, and the Borno State government were tirelessly working to ensure the safe return of the victims.
Governor Zulum met with grieving families at the palace of the Emir of Uba, where he expressed concern over the incident and pledged continued government support to the affected communities.
“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, the parents of the abducted children, and the entire population of the Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” the governor said.
He assured residents that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian armed forces, and the Borno State government were committed to ensuring the abducted children were safely rescued.
“Let me assure you that the Federal Government, under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” Zulum added.
The governor commended the military and other security agencies for their prompt response following the abduction, noting that senior security officers had already been deployed to the area to strengthen operations.
According to him, the brigade commander, commanding officer, divisional police officer, and other heads of security formations have been mobilised to prevent further attacks and facilitate the rescue mission.
Zulum also pledged to strengthen security in Askira, Uba, and neighbouring communities to prevent similar incidents in the future.
“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjacent communities by reinforcing security in these areas,” he stated.
The governor appealed to the abductors to release the children, describing them as innocent minors in need of parental care and protection.
He further urged residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire state to intensify prayers for peace and security, especially during the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah.
Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II, disclosed that the attack occurred on May 15, when gunmen stormed the Mussa community and abducted 48 people, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.
The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his consistent support to communities affected by insecurity and his efforts toward restoring peace across the state.
Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of additional security personnel to the area.
In a related development, Governor Zulum also visited Chibok Town to sympathise with residents over recent attacks in parts of the local government area that reportedly claimed several lives and left many others injured.
Addressing district heads, village heads and other stakeholders, the governor described the attacks as tragic and assured residents that the government was taking steps to restore normalcy through the deployment of more troops and security operators.
“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathise with you over the recent attacks on some parts of the local government, which claimed many lives and left others injured,” he said.
The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding while security agencies intensify efforts to safeguard lives and property across the affected communities.