Widely Read Magazine in Nigeria

FG disburses N20, 000 one-off Cash Grant to 3,541 beneficiaries in Gombe

1,479

FG disburses N20, 000 one-off Cash Grant to 3,541 beneficiaries in Gombe

The Federal Government, on Tuesday, launched the disbursement of cash Grant for Vulnerable Groups (GVG) in Gombe State, targeting no fewer than 3, 541 beneficiaries.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajia Sadiya Umar-Farouq, who spoke during the launch of the Cash Grant for Vulnerable Groups and on-boarding of Independent Monitors Stream 2 in Gombe State, said the grant was meant to uplift many poorest and vulnerable citizens nation wide.

Umar-Farouq said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration having inherited a national poverty incidence level averaging 70 per cent in 2015, had initiated programmes aimed at lifting citizens out of poverty.

According to her, GVG programme was introduced in 2020 to sustain the social inclusion agenda of President Buhari’s Administration.

Read Also: Troops Eliminates Scores Of Boko Haram In Terrorists Camp Invasion 

She stated that the programme was consistent with the national target of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.

“It is designed to provide a one-off grant to some of the poorest and most vulnerable Nigerians in rural and peri-urban areas of the country.

“A cash grant of N20,000 will be disbursed to the poor and vulnerable category across the 36 States of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory.”

The minister said with the grant many of the beneficiaries would improve their productivity and their commercial activity, all of which “will help in easing them out of poverty.”

Umar-Farouq said in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s social inclusion, 70 per cent of the total number of beneficiaries was for women while the remaining 30 per cent was for the youths.

“In addition, about 15 per cent of the total number of beneficiaries is specifically allocated to the segment of the population with special needs, including Persons with Disability (PWDs) and senior citizens in the State.”

While commending the Federal Government, Gov Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State said the programme was a welcomed development in view of its empowerment-oriented nature to lift citizens of the state out of poverty.

Represented by his deputy, Manassah Jatau, Yahaya said the programme would improve the standard of living of the poor and vulnerable.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: