Security
Midnight Showdown on Akwanga Road: Police Gun Down Suspected Kidnapper in Nasarawa
Midnight Showdown on Akwanga Road: Police Gun Down Suspected Kidnapper in Nasarawa
By Musa Garba
The Nasarawa State Police Command has announced the killing of a suspected kidnapper during a late-night operation in the Nasarawa-Eggon Local Government Area.
According to a statement released on Monday in Lafia by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ramhan Nansel, the operation is part of ongoing efforts by the command to clamp down on criminal activities and improve public safety across the state.
Nansel explained that the incident occurred around 3:30 a.m. when a police patrol team conducting routine surveillance along the Akwanga highway stumbled upon what appeared to be a planned ambush near the Rice Mill area in Nasarawa Eggon.
The officers reportedly noticed that the road had been deliberately blocked with stones, a tactic believed to have been set up by armed men to trap unsuspecting travelers.
On spotting the approaching patrol vehicle, the suspects allegedly opened fire, leading to a gun battle. The police team responded swiftly, overpowering the attackers. One of the suspects was fatally wounded, while others escaped into nearby bushes, possibly with gunshot injuries.
Following the encounter, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Shetima Mohammed, ordered immediate deployment of additional personnel to the scene to reinforce security and restore calm.
The injured suspect was taken to a medical facility, where a doctor later confirmed him dead. He was subsequently identified as Auta Habu, said to be from a Fulani settlement in Gidan Waya village within the same local government area.
Preliminary findings, according to the police, suggest that the deceased had links to multiple criminal operations in the area, including theft and armed robbery, which have raised concerns among local residents about safety and security.
Authorities confirmed that the road has been cleared and is now safe for motorists. Meanwhile, security operatives have intensified efforts to track down the fleeing members of the gang.
The police urged residents to stay alert and promptly report any unusual or suspicious activities to law enforcement agencies.
Reaffirming its dedication to safeguarding lives and property, the command assured the public that operations against criminal elements will continue across the state.
Security
EFCC Arraigns Man Over Alleged N3.5m Fake FIRS Job Scam in Gombe
EFCC Arraigns Man Over Alleged N3.5m Fake FIRS Job Scam in Gombe
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned a man, Dalhatu Yahaya, before the Gombe State High Court over an alleged job scam involving N3.5 million.
Yahaya was docked on Thursday before Justice A.M. Yakubu of High Court 2 in Gombe on a two-count charge bordering on alleged intent to defraud.
According to the anti-graft agency, the defendant allegedly collected N3.5 million from one Abubakar Shuaibu Yakubu in 2025 under the pretext of securing employment for him at the Federal Inland Revenue Service.
The prosecution told the court that the representation was false and contravened provisions of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2006.
One of the charges alleged that Yahaya induced the complainant to part with the money with a promise to facilitate the job placement, an offer prosecutors said he knew was fraudulent.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Following his plea, prosecution counsel J.D. Tortema asked the court to fix a date for trial and remand the defendant in a correctional facility.
However, defence counsel Yusuf A. Ali informed the court that a bail application had already been filed on behalf of his client.
Justice Yakubu subsequently granted Yahaya bail in the sum of N5 million with one surety in a like sum.
The court ruled that the surety must be a resident of Gombe, own landed property worth at least N5 million, and be a person of credible standing.
The judge also directed the surety to submit the original documents of the property, a valid means of identification, and an international passport for verification by the court registrar.
The case was adjourned to June 22, 2026, for commencement of trial, while the defendant was ordered to remain at the Gombe Correctional Service pending the fulfilment of his bail conditions.
Security
Yobe Police Arrest Motorcycle Snatcher, Fraud Suspect, Alleged Cattle Rustler
Yobe Police Arrest Motorcycle Snatcher, Fraud Suspect, Alleged Cattle Rustler
By Njadvara Musa, Damaturu
The Yobe State Police Command says it has recorded major breakthroughs in its fight against crime, including the arrest of suspected motorcycle thieves, fraudsters, and cattle rustlers in different parts of the state.
The command disclosed that operatives attached to the Garin Alkali Division in Bursari Local Government Area arrested a suspected motorcycle snatcher identified as Abubakar Haruna, 30, from Lafiya, Lamurde, in Adamawa State.
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dungus Abdulkarim, reported that authorities apprehended the suspect on 17 May at approximately 4:00 p.m. after allegedly stealing a red Boxer motorcycle with registration number MKD 330 QF belonging to a victim along the Gashua-Potiskum road on the outskirts of Garin Alkali.
A police spokesperson said residents and sympathisers pursued the suspect after the incident in an attempt to stop him from escaping.
During the chase, the suspect reportedly rode the stolen motorcycle recklessly and knocked down a 72-year-old man, Sabo Yahaya, at Garin Goje village in the Jakusko Local Government Area.
The victim sustained a fracture on his left leg and was first taken to the Specialist Hospital in Gashua before being referred to the Federal Medical Centre, Nguru, for further treatment.
Mr Abdulkarim said the suspect was rescued from an enraged mob and is currently under investigation.
In another operation carried out around 5:50 p.m. the same day, police operatives arrested Musa Baba, 38, of Jumbam village in Tarmuwa Local Government Area, over alleged fraud and deception.
The police said the suspect had been on their watch list for allegedly swindling unsuspecting residents in marketplaces using fake bundles designed to resemble cash.
Investigators revealed that the suspect usually arranged cut papers inside polythene bags to look like genuine currency notes before deceiving victims into handing over money.
Police said the suspect had earlier defrauded a teenager of N110,000 using the same method and was arrested while allegedly attempting another fraudulent act.
During interrogation, the suspect reportedly confessed to the crime, while officers recovered several bundles of cut papers packaged to resemble money.
The command also announced the arrest of a suspected cattle rustler, Usman Isa, 28, from Yusufari Local Government Area.
According to the police, the suspect was apprehended at Garin Alkali Market while in possession of a suspected stolen cow.
The police said investigations were ongoing to identify the rightful owner of the animal and trace other fleeing members of the syndicate.
The Commissioner of Police in Yobe State, Usman Kanfani Jibrin, reaffirmed the command’s commitment to tackling criminal activities across the state.
He urged residents to remain vigilant and continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies to support efforts aimed at maintaining peace and security.
Security
Police Arrest Two Over Fatal Stabbing of 22-Year-Old in Adamawa
Police Arrest Two Over Fatal Stabbing of 22-Year-Old in Adamawa
By Njadvara Musa, Adamawa
The Adamawa State Police Command has arrested two young men over the killing of a 22-year-old, Daniel Samuel, following a violent attack in Michika Local Government Area.
Police spokesperson, SP Suleiman Nguroje, said the suspects Dakiyar Tumba, 23, and Sini Luka, 23 allegedly stabbed the victim during an altercation on April 12 in Michika town.
Mr Nguroje disclosed that the victim, who sustained multiple stab wounds, managed to reach the Michika Divisional Police Headquarters in a desperate attempt to seek help.
“He was found in a pool of blood with severe injuries,” the police spokesman said. “He was immediately rushed to a medical facility, but was confirmed dead on arrival by doctors.”
According to the police, officers swiftly launched an operation that led to the arrest of the two suspects. A knife believed to have been used in the attack was also recovered and is now in police custody as evidence.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Kabir Umar Hassan, has condemned the killing and ordered a thorough investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID).
Mr Hassan assured that those responsible would be prosecuted, pledging justice for the deceased and his family.
He also cautioned residents against resorting to violence to settle disputes, urging communities to embrace lawful and peaceful means of resolving conflicts.
The suspects are expected to be charged with criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide as the investigation nears completion.
-
Economy5 months agoNGX Ends Week in the Green as ₦1.54 Trillion Boosts Investors’ Fortunes
-
Education5 months agoDangote Launches Landmark ₦1 Trillion Scholarship Scheme to Support 1.3 Million Nigerian Students
-
Economy5 months agoCBN’s End to Cash Withdrawal Limit
-
Column6 months agoFormal Rebuttal to the Recent Interview Granted by Retired Major General Ali Keffi on Arise TV
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Primary Committee Declares Gombe Senatorial Polls Credible, Transparent
-
Gombe5 months agoGombe Shines Again, Ranks Second in Northeast at 2025 PHC Leadership Challenge
-
Politics6 months agoNSGF names Ezekiel Gomos as Director-General, setting stage for stronger regional collaboration
-
Gombe2 months agoA tribute to Dr Langa Hassan Bangunji (JP) – an icon of Scholarship, Leadership and Community Service
