The Man And His Exploits: Outstanding Achievements and Breakthroughs of Professor Ahmed Ahidjo
Here is the profile of a man who indeed is the epitome of the saying: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.” Professor Ahmed Ahidjo is an International Scholar of repute, a Professor of Radiology at the Department of Radiology, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and the current Chief Medical Director at, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Borno State. He is from Rumirgo, Askira/Uba LGA of Borno State, Nigeria.
Little Ahmed began his primary education at Rumirgo Central Primary School, Rumirgo where he distinguished himself as the best graduating pupil with a distinction in Arithmetic. Having successfully completed his primary studies, he proceeded to Government Secondary School Uba from where he was later transferred to Government Science Secondary School Waka Biu, Borno State. With hard work and great love for his studies, Ahmed obtained his GCE O’level in 1986 with distinctions in Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Agriculture.
With some clarity of what he wanted for himself, Ahmed Ahidjo was set to take another step forward in his life. Prof. Ahidjo completed his University Medical education at the University of Maiduguri with MBBS degree in 1994 and successfully completed the Postgraduate Medical Education (Residency Training Programme) of both the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (FMCR) and the West African College of Surgeons (FWACS) in 2002. He proceeded to the Medical University of Vienna, Austria (2007/2008) and Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University (2009). His success in the latter eventually made him become the first Interventional Radiologist in Nigeria and West Africa. Prof. performed the first case of Uterine Fibroid Embolization in Nigeria, a minimally invasive technique of treatment of Uterine Fibroids, a disease affecting many women in Nigeria. He similarly performed the first case of Percutaneous Balloon Angioplasty in Nigeria for the treatment of blocked blood vessels.
Professor Ahidjo rose through the ranks from lecturer I in 2003 to Professor in 2011. During this period, he published more than 80 peer-reviewed scientific papers in reputable journals and books within and outside Nigeria. This went on to enhance his global visibility as one of the Top 10 scholars in Research Gate in his field. His efforts have attracted many donations and grants to UMTH.
Furthermore, as a scholar of distinction, he became the pioneer Interventional Radiologist in Nigeria and West Africa, who initiated image-guided minimally invasive medical treatment techniques in the country and region. He was the pioneer Head of the Radiography Department at the University of Maiduguri, which commenced Radiography training in entire Northern Nigeria.
During his sabbatical in 2012, Prof. established the Department of Radiology, at the Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital, Maiduguri. He was invited to contribute to the establishment of the Department of Radiology, Yobe State Teaching Hospital, which has now taken off successfully.
At the peak of his academic career as Provost, College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri, he successfully contributed to the establishment of a Collegiate System with the creation of four (4) new faculties of Basic Medical, Basic Clinical, Clinical and Allied Health Sciences.
Still on his incredible exploits, Professor Ahidjo continues to serve as an assessor of the Compendium of Innovative Technologies/ Medical Devices for the World Health Organization since 2016. By this appointment, he recommends new Radiology Equipment to be used by the 195 WHO-Member States. He was part of the team of the International Atomic Energy Agency involved with the production of Staffing software in Radiation Medicine and the publication of the “Needs of Interventional Radiology in the Emerging Nations” being used globally. Prof. Ahmed was appointed as the Chief Medical Director of the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital on 3rd September 2018 in the midst of the devastating Boko Haram insurgency.
On assumption of duty, he was challenged by the overwhelming, systematic weakening of the primary and secondary health care systems in many parts of the North-East sub-region due to the traumatizing impact of the insurgency. Armed with enormous academic, community and administrative experience, Prof. Ahidjo promptly undertook Needs Assessment and formulated strategies and plans to deal with the challenges of providing high-quality tertiary health care in a challenging environment.
University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital has never closed its doors to patients despite all the challenges during his time as the Chief Executive.
A man who is well-travelled, this Medical Guru has travelled to over 40 countries in the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge.
He worked for over 27 years at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and has a working experience outside Nigeria as a Radiologist in the World Health Organization at Geneva, Switzerland and as a Research Scholar at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Professor Ahidjo has also sought out different ways to develop himself as well as impact society positively as a result, he has attended many conferences and workshops, gave lectures in these places and has presented scientific papers within and outside the shores of Nigeria.
Professor Ahidjo has trained over 20 consultants, a number of MSc and PhD candidates, in addition to numerous undergraduates in the Medical Sciences.
Being a great personality that he is, Professor Ahidjo has held many positions and received many prizes and awards, within and outside Nigeria. He is a member of many professional bodies and a registered member of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria. His creativity spurred him to explore various opportunities at the National and International levels for upgrading infrastructure and enhancing services at his place of work.
Consequently, with the support of the President, the Minister for Health, Borno State Government and other key partners, Professor Ahmed Ahidjo initiated many landmark projects and activities to realize his vision and mission. While some of them have already been completed and commissioned, many others are still ongoing.
Below are the completed and commissioned outstanding projects:
• Trauma Centre 150 bedded
• Physical Rehabilitation Centre –Construction and Equipping
• The Burns Centre –Construction and Equipping
• NHIS/GOPD/Retainership Complex –Construction and Equipping
• School of Nursing Female Hostel –Construction and Furnishing
• 1000-Seat Multipurpose Auditorium and Conference Centre
• 7.5 Megawatt Electric Power Sub-Station
• Installation of Large Scale Incinerators, boreholes and Solar energy
• Burns Centre–Construction and Equipping
• Molecular Laboratory–Construction and Equipping
• Isolation Centre–Renovation and Equipping
• Renovation of 27 wards and Departments
• Construction and Rehabilitation of Roads
• Procurement and Installation of so many Medical Equipment
• Installation of Large Generators and Transformers
• Establishment of Electronic Payment and Record System.
The ongoing ones include:
• Stroke Centre 150 bedded
• Child and Adolescent Institute 150 bedded
• Radiotherapy/Cancer Centre –Construction and Equipping
• Kidney Centre Extension 150 bedded
These projects have significantly repositioned the hospital to more effectively cope with the emerging challenges of providing Tertiary Healthcare Services despite the ever-increasing influx of patients from various parts of the North East Sub-region and beyond. They have also significantly enhanced access to quality and affordable health care services by the people. It has drastically reduced medical tourism and the loss of scarce foreign exchange.
In response to increasing demand for high-quality manpower sequel to the expansion of infrastructure in the Hospital, Professor Ahidjo embarked on staff recruitment, training and promotion in line with Federal Government guidelines. Despite the weight of his responsibilities, Professor Ahidjo maintains a close relationship with his community thereby making a positive impact on the quality of life of his Rumirgo village people and their overall progress and development.
This is demonstrated in the number of projects he has successfully attracted or sponsored spanning, education, health, water supply and sanitation, housing, agriculture and commerce. He is humble and accessible to his immediate and wider communities, including staff, peers, superiors, professional colleagues, students and the less privileged.
He remains focused, hardworking, disciplined and obedient in the discharge of his duties.
In recognition of his enormous contributions to institutional and human development, Professor Ahmed Ahidjo has received over 70 awards and commendations from individuals, groups, national and international organizations. The most notable include:
• Award of Honour in recognition of his Meritorious Service to the Medical and Dental Council Association of Nigeria, Borno State Branch.
• Commendation by ICPC and ranking of University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital under his leadership as the best among Teaching Hospitals and in Nigeria and 2nd among all institutions 2019.
• International Fellowship Award by the Radiological Society of North America as one of the two recipients of the prestigious Derek-Harwood Nash International Fellowship awarded to deserving Radiologists across the globe.
DONATIONS ATTRACTED TO UMTH BY PROFESSOR AHIDJO
This man of exceptional knowledge and global exposure has gone far, near, and wide to inspire worthy donors for a worthy cause. The following are donations he successfully attracted to UMTH:
i. Construction and Equipping of Physical Rehabilitation Centre at $3.6million by ICRC 2020
ii. Construction and furnishing of Auditorium and Conference Centre at N400million by Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum 2020
iii. Donation of Medical Equipment by Petroleum Equalization Fund worth N150million
iv. Donation of Consumables and Medical Equipment by Emeka Offor Foundation worth N180million
v. Construction and Equipping of Burns Centre over N100million by Northeast Development Commission 2019
vi. Rehabilitation/construction of 2.5km internal road network by Federal Ministry of Works 2020
vii. Dualization of Internal road network by Federal Road Maintenance Management Agency (FERMA)
viii. Installation of 50 units of Solar power street light by Federal Ministry of Works, Power and Housing 2019
ix. Construction and equipping of 7.5MW sub-station by Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) – 2021
x. Procurement and Installation of Incinerator 250/HR donated by Ecological Fund
xi. Obtained N5 million worth Interventional Radiology accessories and Consummables from Dr Wole Amole of Arkansas University USA -2009
xii. Obtained Interventional Radiology items and Projector worth N2 million for UMTH from University of Washington, USA 2009
xiii. Obtained International Atomic Energy Commission Vienna Grant for ‘Enhancing Capacity for Early Detection and Diagnosis of Breast Cancer through Imaging’ 2012- $50, 000.00
xiv. Obtained N20 million X-Ray Machine to the Hospital through University of Maiduguri-2016
xv. Obtained N29 million Endoscopy Machine to the Hospital through TETFUND Project University of Maiduguri-2018
xvi. Assisted UMTH in obtaining the First Microwave Ablation Machine in Nigeria for the treatment of cancer at a very low price with a training package in China during an invited lecture in India-2018.
GRANTS OBTAINED BY PROFESSOR AHIDJO
i. Radiological Society of North America Derek Harwood Nash Fellowship Award 2008- $10,000.00
ii. ETF Research Grant for Research on Regional Diagnostic Reference Level for Head CT Scans in Maiduguri Metropolis.2012 – N280, 000.00
iii. International Atomic Energy Commission Vienna Joint Grant for Development of Radiology Directory for West Africa; DIRAD-WAF-2014- $11, 000.00
COMMUNITY SERVICE CARRIED OUT BY PROFESSOR AHIDJO
i. Welfare Officer, University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association. 1990/91.
ii. Chairman, PTA Government Junior Day Secondary School Rumirgo, Borno State 2009-2012
iii. President, Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, UMTH Chapter 1999-2001
iv. Renovation of two classrooms at Rumirgo Central Primary School, Borno State 2001
v. Financial Secretary-Medical and Dental council Association of Nigeria (MDCN) University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital Chapter 2006-2008
vi. Chairman, Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, Borno State Chapter 2008-2011
vii. Hall Master, Kashim Ibrahim Hall (Clinical Students Hostel), University of Maiduguri -2008 to 2014
viii. Chairman PTA, Government Day Secondary School Rumirgo, Borno State-2011 to 2016
ix. Construction of Ahidjo Memorial Primary School, Rumirgo, Borno State in conjunction with family members 2012
x. Vice President, Nigerian Society of Ultrasound Practitioners 2015 -2017
xi. President, Nigerian Society of Interventional Radiology-2016 to date.
xii. Acquisition of 3 boreholes from His Excellency Honourable Kashim Shettima Executive Governor of Borno State to Rumirgo Community 2017
xiii. Construction of well to Mayo Jolloji, Askira/Uba, Borno State, Borno State 2017
xiv. Construction of 3 Water wells to Pubagu Village.
SCHOLARLY CONTRIBUTIONS -JOURNALS, EDITOR AND REVIEWER Below are his enormous contributions to knowledge
1. British Journal of Radiology
2. International Journal Reviewer: Medical Journal of Dr D.Y. Patil University India
3. International Journal Reviewer: South African Journal of Radiology
4. International Journal Reviewer: European Journal of Radiology
5. International Journal Reviewer: World Health Organization Compendium of Innovative Technologies
6. International Journal Reviewer: Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
7. Editor-in-Chief, Kanem Journal of Medical Science- the official publication of the College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri-2015 to 2017 (2-year tenure)
8. Deputy Editor-in-Chief Borno Medical Journal- the official publication of the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, Borno State-2003 to 2011
9. Ass. Editor-in-Chief Kanem Journal of Medical Science- the official publication of the College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri-2006 to 2014
10. Editorial Board Member- West African Journal of Ultrasound- an official publication of West African Society of Ultrasound
11. Journal Reviewer: Nigerian Journal of Basic and Clinical Sciences
12. Journal Reviewer: National Postgraduate Medical Journal
13. Journal Reviewer: West African Journal of Radiology
14. Journal Reviewer: West African Journal of Ultrasound
15. Journal Reviewer: Journal of West African College of Surgeons
16. Journal Reviewer: West African Journal of Medicine
17. Journal Reviewer: Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences
18. Journal Reviewer: Sahel Medical Journal
COMMENDATIONS, DISTINCTIONS, PRIZES AND AWARDS: Here, with is really long list of recognitions, one can truly admire the kind of resourceful person Professor Ahmed Ahidjo is:
1. Prize for 1981 Best graduating Student in Arithmetics- Rumirgo Central Primary School, Borno State
2. Award for Best Science Student 1986 during the General Certificate of Education /WAEC with Distinction in Biology A2, IRK A2, Mathematics A3, Chemistry A3 and Agricultural Science A3. Government Science Secondary School Waka-Biu, Borno State, Nigeria, 1986
3. Borno State Government Scholarship Award – 1986-1994
4. Award of Meritorious Service by the University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association. 1990/91.
5. Award of Meritorious Service as Former President by the National Association of Resident Doctors University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Nigeria. 2001/02.
6. Award of Scholarship by the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) to attend the “Teach the Teachers in Emerging Nations” on Tropical Imaging in Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Bethesda, Maryland, USA, from the 25th April to 25th June 2004.
7. Certificate of Merit by Nigerian Medical Association as the Chairman, Computer Acquisition Committee 2004-2006. Issued 16th September 2006.
8. Award of Honour presented to DR. Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of your service to the Medical and Dental Council Association of Nigeria (MDCN) University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital Chapter 2006-2008 as Assistant Secretary.
9. International Fellowship Award -The Radiological Society of North America has awarded me as one of the two recipients for 2008 of the Derek-Harwood Nash fellowship ($10, 000.00).
10. Award of Excellence: to Dr Ahmed Ahidjo from University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association 2008/2009.
11. Award of Honour to Dr Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of his Meritorious Service to Medical and Dental council Association of Nigeria, Unimaid Chapter as Chairman during 2009 – 2011 Executive year.
12. Award of Honour for Excellence in Service by the University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association. 2010.
13. Certificate of appreciation to DR. Ahmed Ahidjo in appreciation for the selfless and enormous Support of engagement rendered to the Association of Borno State Medical Students Association. 2010
14. Award of Service – Department of Radiography graduation class of 2010.
15. Award of Honour for Excellence in Service by the MDCAN, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. 2011.
16. Award of Excellence presented to A. Ahidjo by Nigeria Medical Association Borno State Chapter in recognition of your elevation to the amiable status of Professor of Radiography by the Governing Council of the University of Maiduguri 2011-2012
17. Award of Honour to DR. Ahmed Ahidjo Ex-Officio in recognition of your Distinguished Service, Loyalty and Disposition to the Highest Ideals of MDCAN UMTH 2011-2012
18. Award of Honour-Presented to Professor (Dr.) Ahmed Ahidjo (Professor of Radiology) by Borno State Medical and Dental Students Association (BOMSA) in Recognition of his selfless commitment to the Association. 2013
19. Award of Excellence Conferred to Professor DR. Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of his Excellence performance and contribution to the growth of the Radiography Profession in Nigeria 2014.
20. Award for your Contribution to the Success of the 4th World Federation of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology- Centre of Education (Lagos) 2015 Scientific Conference.
21. Merit Award By GSSS Waka Biu ‘Class Of 1986’ in 2015.
22. The ‘‘Grand One” Award 2015-Department Of Medical Radiography Class of 2015.
23. Award of Excellence to Provost by Medical Laboratory Science Students 2015/2016.
24. Award of Excellence by University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association 2015/2016 Exco.
25. Distinguished Service Award by the Association of Resident Doctors University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital 9th December 2016.
26. Award of Excellence as the President Nigerian Society of Interventional Radiology 17th December 2016.
27. Award of Excellence by Society for Gastroenterology and Hepatology in Nigeria (SOGHIN) During 9th Scientific Conference and Annual General Meeting (Lagos 2016) 21st And 22nd July 2016.
28. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Nigerian Medical Association Borno State in Appreciation of his Contribution in the upliftment of The Medical Profession and Welfare of Members, 28th Of July, 2016.
29. Award of Excellence from Technologists/Scientists Association of University of Maiduguri and College of Medical Sciences 2017
30. Award of Honour for Humanitarian Service (ICRC Humanitarian Award) by the International Committee of the Red Cross -2017
31. Letter of Commendation- Senate University of Maiduguri- 2017
32. Award Of Appreciation by the University Of Maiduguri Association of Radiography Students (UMARADS) 2017
33. Award of Excellent Service by University of Maiduguri Medical Students Association 2017- 17th July 2017
34. Certificate of Appreciation, Pan Arab Interventional Radiology Society (PAIRS), Dubai UAE. 21st -24th February 2018.
35. Award of Honour, presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in Recognition of his appointment as Provost by Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, Borno State Chapter- 2018
36. Leadership Award presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by African Students’ Union Parliament (ASUP) Pan-African Servant “Africa’s Icon of Medical Renaissance” October 2019
37. Distinguished Personality award presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for Upliftment of Pharmacy Profession by Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria – Borno State Chapter
38. Award of Outstanding Support presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by SERVICOM UMTH towards effective service delivery – 2020
39. Award of Honour presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in Recognition of your support to the Association Borno State by Medical and Dental Students – October 2018
40. Award of Recognition presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by 7 Division Nigerian Army General Officer Commanding – 2020
41. Award of Honour presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Sickle Cell Care Foundation in Recognition of your Tremendous Services and Dedication to the Foundation
42. Award in recognition presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for your Support to Association of Resident Doctors UMTH by ARD UMTH – 2019
43. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Sir Ahmadu Bello Youth Council of Nigeria (ABYCN) “Icon of Humanitarian Service” 2018
44. Award of Appreciation presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for Commitment towards the establishment of Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences University of Maiduguri while serving as the Provost, CMS Unimaid by Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
45. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in honour and recognition of selfless service and contribution Association of Resident Doctors UMTH – 2020
46. Award of Honour presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of well-deserved appointment as the Chief Medical Director UMTH by Medical and Dental Consultants’ Association of Nigeria UMTH Chapter 2018
47. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of support, Encouragement, Commitment and Uncommon Selfless Service to Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Borno State
48. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo as the best Chief Medical Director by House Officers UMTH 2020
49. Award Hall of Fame Certificate presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for those Individuals whose lives exemplify the ideal of living African Students’ Union Parliament (ASUP) Pan-African Servant Leadership.
50. Award of Honour presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Department of Medical Radiography University of Maiduguri – 2018
51. Award of Honour presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for outstanding performance and Exceptional Commitment to Humanity Association of Muslim Health Student of UMTH 2020
52. Congratulation on the well-deserved Appointment presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo as CMD UMTH by the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientist Borno State Branch
53. Appreciation Award in recognition and appreciation presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for outstanding and selfless service to the Committee Amenity Revolving Fund Committee UMTH
54. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Nigerian Society of Interventional Radiology (NiSR) in recognition of immense contribution to the Association. 2019
55. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo as Guest Lecturer of the 52 Annual Scientific Conference Nigerian Society of Neurological Sciences – 2020
56. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Nigerian Young Generation in Nuclear in recognition of excellent Leadership in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine 2019
57. Certificate of Appreciation presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Association of Muslim Health Students – 2019
58. Award of Excellence presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for outstanding contribution to UCH/RAD-AID IR4 Nigerian Project Department of Radiology University College Hospital, Ibadan
59. Award of Recognition presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for your contribution to Pharmacy Practice in Borno State 2020
60. Award for Goodwill Ambassador for contribution presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for Public Health Training, Health Delivery & Safety of Mankind by African Institute of Public Health Professionals – 2020
61. Award of Honour and Distinction presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo in recognition of your appointment as Chief Medical Director UMTH by Nigerian Medical Association Borno State Chapter – 2018-2020
62. Award of appreciation presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for your support and contribution to the 2nd Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) National Health Submit as Presenter
63. Fellowship Award presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo by Institute of Business Diplomacy and Financial Management – 2018
64. Certificate of confirmation presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo as “Wakilin Matasan Arewan Nijeriya” by Northern Youth Council of Nigeria, – 2018
65. Special Commendation and Award presented to Professor Ahmed Ahidjo Chief Medical Director UMTH by Independent and Corrupt Practice (ICPC) – 2020
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS-IMPACT OF BREAKTHROUGHS
More on the erudition of these renowned Medical Experts, are further achievements:
1. Establishment of Interventional Radiology service in Nigeria and Ghana. I am the first Nigerian working in Nigeria to be trained in Interventional Radiology, a branch of medicine that specializes in minimally invasive Image-guided treatment Systems. I performed the First Cases of Uterine Fibroid Embolization and Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty in Nigeria and West Africa. I obtained free/highly subsidized training and conferences for over 20 aspiring Interventional Radiologists in Nigeria to India and Dubai.
2. I have been an assessor of the Compendium of Innovative Technologies/Medical Devices for the World Health Organization from 2016 to date. By this, any new Radiology Equipment to be used by the 195 WHO the Member States is based on my recommendation.
3. The struggle for the Establishment of the Faculties of Basic Medical Sciences, Basic Clinical Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Allied Health Sciences has been in the College of Medical Sciences for over 32years with no success. I was able to obtain senate approval during my tenure as the Provost and established these 4 faculties.
4. I have attracted many equipment and consumables to UMTH for free. I have trained jointly with other consultants over 20 Consultant Radiologists.
5. Being the 1st Head of Department of Radiography, University of Maiduguri (the first in Northern Nigeria), I ensured take-off of the department with now over 3000 graduates working all over Nigeria and abroad.
6. During my sabbatical year in 2012, I have established the Department of Radiology, Federal Pneuro-Psychiatric Hospital, Maiduguri. Also, I have initiated and ensured the smooth take-off, the Department of Radiology, Yobe State Teaching Hospital.
7. I am a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency committee involved with the production of a Staffing software in Radiation Medicine used globally and the publication of “Needs of Interventional Radiology in the Emerging Nations”.
8. While working with the World Health Organization, I ensured the supply of Medical Books to most of the Medical Schools in Africa.
9. Many of my Research are TOP 10 in Research Gate (A medical publication rating agency) in my field. I have published or contributed chapters in many books used across the world.
10. As the Provost of, College of Medical Sciences, I have transformed the College by renovating the entire buildings and provide equipment that is not only limited to the College but also to UMTH. A new 200 Computer ICT Center established. Over 20million pieces of furniture are provided for our staff.
11. As the Chief Medical Director, I am able to: a. Construct and equipped an a. 150-bed capacity Trauma Centre with 4 Theater suites, a Laboratory unit, a Radiology unit etc. b. Construct, equipped and Furnished Family Medicine Department with over 30 consulting rooms, Radiology unit, Laboratory unit etc, c. Procurement of modern medical equipment such as X-ray machines, Fluoroscopy, Mobile x-ray machine, CT scan, Electric theatre beds and ceiling mount light, Laboratory equipment, Ophthalmic equipment, Teaching aids. d. I was also been able to attract construction, equipping and furnishing of UMTH Conference Centre by the Borno State government. e. Establishment of the Electronic Payment and Record System. f. Establishment of 510KVA Solar Power g. Construction Equipping and furnishing of Physical Rehabilitation Centre as well as Training of Prostheses and Orthoses personnel. h. Construction and equipping of Burns Centre by North East Development Commission, i. Procurement and installation of Medical equipment, Drugs and Consumables. j. Rehabilitation and Construction of internal road network by Federal Ministry of Works. k. Attracted Dualization and Rehabilitation of internal roads by FERMA. l. Donation of Medical Equipment by Petroleum Equalization Fund. m. Procurement and installation of 250kg/HR Medical Incinerator by Ecological Fund. n. Construction and Installation of 7.5MW Electricity Injection Sub-station by Niger Delta Power Holding Company.
As we round up this massive profile of a true intellectual and resourceful citizen of Borno State, Nigeria, and the world in general, below are some memorable and beautiful comments made by prominent personalities in recognition of the work of Professor Ahmed Ahidjo:
President Muhammadu Buhari 2020 I commend the management and Board of the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and the Minister of Health on their performance. Nigeria is proud of your achievement.
Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, Governor Borno State 2020
“We must commend the FGN under the leadership of President Buhari for these giant strides in the Health Sector. This institution has never witnessed such developmental projects since its inception. Let me, therefore, commend the FMOH, Ministry of Finance, NEDC and in particular the Chief Medical Director of this University Hospital for the wonderful job he has done. We must also commend the Chairman Board and entire management of this hospital for their commitment in providing quality healthcare service for our people across the Northeast.”
Honourable Minister of Health Dr Osagie Ehanire 2020 “….one of the best performing hospitals in this respect has been the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, which has responded well in handling COVID-19 cases while not failing in routine service delivery in spite of the security challenges. It is the largest and most specialities diversified tertiary hospital in Nigeria. The management and Board must be commended. I formally congratulate the Chairman Governing Board and the Chief Medical Director, Professor Ahmed Ahidjo for their leadership, resilience, and dedication even under the difficult circumstances in the Northeast.”
Professor Idris Mohammed, NNOM, MD, FRCP, FAS, Life Fellow Royal Society of Medicine London. Foundation CMD/Chief Executive of UMTH (1985-1994).
“Hearty CONGRATULATIONS Professor Ahmad Ahidjo, CMD/Chief Executive UMTH, for these superlative projects established in such record time, and which you call “landmark”. They are also your LEGACY projects that have transformed the UMTH from the basic 300-bed structure commissioned by late President Shagari in 1983 and inherited by me in 1985, to the current huge state-of-the-art facility FOUR TIMES the original one. You can justifiably be proud to have beaten all of us several times over, and I fervently hope that your achievements will endure many years after you might have ended your highly enviable tenure.
Congratulations once more, and more grease to your elbows. Move ahead with your proud head high up, in the realisation that no one is likely to match your performance anytime soon.”