Connect with us

Borno

Zulum Assures Parents of Safe Return of 48 Abducted Pupils in Borno

Published

on

Zulum Assures Parents of Safe Return of 48 Abducted Pupils in Borno

Zulum Assures Parents of Safe Return of 48 Abducted Pupils in Borno

By Tada Jutha, Maiduguri

Borno State Governor Babagana Umara Zulum visited Uba town in the Askira/Uba Local Government Area on Tuesday to sympathise with the families of 48 residents, mostly schoolchildren, who were abducted by gunmen in the Mussa community last Friday.

During the visit, the governor assured parents and guardians that the federal government, security agencies, and the Borno State government were tirelessly working to ensure the safe return of the victims.

Governor Zulum met with grieving families at the palace of the Emir of Uba, where he expressed concern over the incident and pledged continued government support to the affected communities.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, the parents of the abducted children, and the entire population of the Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” the governor said.

He assured residents that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian armed forces, and the Borno State government were committed to ensuring the abducted children were safely rescued.

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government, under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” Zulum added.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for their prompt response following the abduction, noting that senior security officers had already been deployed to the area to strengthen operations.

According to him, the brigade commander, commanding officer, divisional police officer, and other heads of security formations have been mobilised to prevent further attacks and facilitate the rescue mission.

Zulum also pledged to strengthen security in Askira, Uba, and neighbouring communities to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjacent communities by reinforcing security in these areas,” he stated.

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the children, describing them as innocent minors in need of parental care and protection.

He further urged residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire state to intensify prayers for peace and security, especially during the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II, disclosed that the attack occurred on May 15, when gunmen stormed the Mussa community and abducted 48 people, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.

The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his consistent support to communities affected by insecurity and his efforts toward restoring peace across the state.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of additional security personnel to the area.

In a related development, Governor Zulum also visited Chibok Town to sympathise with residents over recent attacks in parts of the local government area that reportedly claimed several lives and left many others injured.

Addressing district heads, village heads and other stakeholders, the governor described the attacks as tragic and assured residents that the government was taking steps to restore normalcy through the deployment of more troops and security operators.

“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathise with you over the recent attacks on some parts of the local government, which claimed many lives and left others injured,” he said.

The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding while security agencies intensify efforts to safeguard lives and property across the affected communities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Borno

Ndume Raises Alarm Over Abduction of 42 Pupils in Borno School Attack

Published

on

By

Ndume Raises Alarm Over Abduction of 42 Pupils in Borno School Attack

Ndume Raises Alarm Over Abduction of 42 Pupils in Borno School Attack

By Tada Jutha, Maiduguri

Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District, has raised concern over the abduction of 42 pupils and students following an attack by suspected Boko Haram insurgents on a secondary school in Mussa community of Askira/Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.

The lawmaker disclosed that the attack occurred at the Government Day Secondary School (GDSS), Mussa, a farming and herding community located on the eastern fringe of the notorious Sambisa Forest.

Speaking on Saturday in Maiduguri, Ndume appealed to the military and other security agencies, particularly troops of the Northeast Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, to intensify efforts toward rescuing the abducted children.

“I am appealing to the military and other security agencies, especially the ground troops of Operation Hadin Kai, to intensify efforts in rescuing the abducted school children currently in captivity,” the senator said.

He described the incident as traumatic and devastating for affected families, noting that many parents and guardians have been thrown into despair and uncertainty following the attack.

According to Ndume, the latest abduction has further worsened the security challenges confronting communities in his senatorial district, which comprises nine local government areas and has witnessed repeated insurgent attacks in recent weeks.

He recalled that communities in Chibok, including Bambatsu and Ngadarma, were attacked on Thursday, resulting in the deaths of several residents, including elderly persons, alongside the destruction of property.

The senator expressed particular concern that the school attack happened while students were attending their early morning lessons.

He revealed that information obtained from school authorities indicated that four students were abducted from the secondary school section, while 28 pupils were taken from the primary section. Another 10 children were reportedly kidnapped from nearby residential homes, bringing the total number of abducted victims to 42.

Ndume, who previously served as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, urged the Nigerian military to intensify rescue operations and strengthen security surveillance across vulnerable communities in southern Borno.

He also sympathised with families affected by the recent attacks in Chibok communities and other parts of the senatorial district.

Continue Reading

Borno

Zulum Pushes Consensus Option Ahead of APC Primaries in Borno

Published

on

By

Zulum Pushes Consensus Option Ahead of APC Primaries in Borno

Zulum Pushes Consensus Option Ahead of APC Primaries in Borno

By Tada Jutha, Maiduguri

Governor Babagana Umara Zulum has urged aspirants contesting for elective positions under the All Progressives Congress in Borno State to embrace consensus as the preferred option for selecting candidates ahead of the party’s primaries.

The governor made the appeal on Thursday during a stakeholders’ meeting held at the Government House in Maiduguri, where party leaders and aspirants gathered to deliberate on preparations for the 2027 general elections.

The APC primaries are expected to begin on Friday, May 15, with House of Representatives contests, while the presidential primary is scheduled for May 23 in Abuja.

Mr Zulum said consensus remains the best strategy for preserving unity within the party and positioning it strongly for future elections.

He commended party stakeholders for their continued support and loyalty to the APC administration in the state.

“As we prepare for the primaries, I want to remind all aspirants that consensus remains the most viable option for our party in Borno State,” the governor said.

He, however, noted that the party would resort to direct primaries if consensus arrangements fail.

The governor also assured party members that democratic principles would be respected throughout the process, stressing that no candidate would be imposed on any constituency.

According to him, consultations among stakeholders should continue to ensure acceptable candidates emerge across the state.

Mr Zulum urged aspirants to remain committed to the party regardless of the outcome of the primaries, adding that those who fail to secure tickets could still benefit from future political opportunities.

He further disclosed that aspirants who voluntarily withdraw from contests may be considered for appointments and other opportunities at both state and federal levels.

To coordinate consultations across the state, the governor inaugurated zonal consultative committees for the three senatorial districts.

The deputy governor, Umar Usman Kadafur, will head the Southern Zone committee, while the APC deputy national chairman (North), Ali Bukar Dalori, will oversee the Central Zone. Senator Mohammed Tahir Monguno was appointed to coordinate the Northern Zone consultations.

During the meeting, Mr Zulum also formally presented Engr Mustapha Gubio as the party’s consensus governorship candidate, fulfilling an earlier commitment made during a stakeholders’ meeting held in April.

Speaking at the gathering, Mr Dalori and the APC State Chairman, Bello Ayuba, backed the consensus arrangement, saying it would strengthen party cohesion and improve the APC’s chances in the 2027 elections.

 

Continue Reading

Borno

Yobe Police Arrest 23 Over Drug Offences, Recover Illicit Substances

Published

on

By

Yobe Police Arrest Four Suspected Drug Dealers, Recover Tramadol, Other Illicit Substances

Yobe Police Arrest 23 Over Drug Offences, Recover Illicit Substances

By Njadvara Musa , Damaturu

The Nigeria Police Force in Yobe State has arrested 23 suspects in separate operations targeting drug-related crimes across parts of the state, authorities said on Friday.

The arrests followed coordinated raids and intelligence-led operations carried out in the Tarmuwa Local Government Area and Damaturu township, leading to the recovery of suspected illicit drugs and other harmful substances.

According to the spokesperson of the Yobe State Police Command, SP Dungus Abdulkarim, the operations were part of renewed efforts by the command to tackle criminal activities and curb the spread of drug abuse in the state.

Mr Abdulkarim disclosed in a statement issued in Damaturu that police operatives attached to the Tarmuwa Division, working alongside local vigilantes, conducted a major raid at Tashan Fulani village on 14 May.

He said four suspects were arrested during the operation while allegedly in possession of various exhibits, including two-and-a-half bundles of dry leaves suspected to be Indian hemp and packets containing pieces of the substance, as well as liquid substances popularly known as “Suck and die.”.

 

The police spokesperson added that other items recovered from the suspects included tramadol capsules and Enzol tablets.

“Investigation is ongoing, and the arrested suspects will be charged in court upon conclusion of investigation,” he stated.

In another operation conducted on 13 May, operatives attached to A Division Damaturu carried out joint night patrols and raids in identified black spots within the state capital.

The areas raided included Zango CMC, Mass Transit Park and the Jerusalem Ajayi community.The operation resulted in the arrest of 19 additional suspects, made up of 14 men and five women.

Police said exhibits recovered from the suspects included tramadol capsules, Exol, and Diazepam tablets, alongside large quantities of dry leaves suspected to be Indian hemp.

 

The command said all 23 suspects are currently undergoing screening, and those found culpable would be prosecuted.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Usman Kanfani Jibrin, reaffirmed the command’s commitment to sustaining the fight against drug abuse, criminal syndicates, and other related crimes.

He directed tactical teams and officers across the state to intensify operations aimed at flushing out criminal elements from their hideouts.

Mr Jibrin also urged residents to support security agencies with credible information and remain vigilant by reporting suspicious movements and activities within their communities.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025. Northeast Magazine, All Right Reserved..