Connect with us

National News

IPC Condemns Arrest of Journalist’s Wife, Baby, Warns of Growing Threat to Press Freedom

Published

on

IPC Condemns Police Arrest of Journalist’s Wife, Baby, Calls It a Grave Threat to Press Freedom

IPC Condemns Arrest of Journalist’s Wife and Baby, Warns of Growing Threat to Press Freedom

IPC Condemns Police Arrest of Journalist’s Wife, Baby, Calls It a Grave Threat to Press Freedom

IPC Condemns Arrest of Journalist’s Wife and Baby, Warns of Growing Threat to Press Freedom

Arrest Sparks Fresh Concerns Over Media Safety

The International Press Centre (IPC), Lagos, has condemned the arrest of Mrs Adenike Atanda, wife of investigative journalist Sodeeq Atanda, alongside her nine-month-old baby by officers of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to IPC, the incident occurred on Monday, December 22, 2025, in the Owutu area of Ikorodu, Lagos State. At the time, police officers tracked the family to their neighbourhood and arrested the mother and child.

As a result, IPC described the action as unlawful and alarming. Consequently, the organisation warned that such conduct poses a serious threat to press freedom in Nigeria.

Police Allegedly Used Family to Lure Journalists.

According to information from IPC’s Safety and Protection of Journalists (SPJ) Hub, police officers allegedly used the journalist’s family as bait.

Specifically, officers detained Mrs Atanda and her baby for more than five hours at the Owutu Police Station. During the detention, officers allegedly forced her to place a call to her husband.

Furthermore, IPC stated that the officers instructed her to falsely claim that her baby was critically ill and hospitalised. According to the organisation, the police intended to use the call to lure and arrest the journalist.

Journalist Previously Detained in Ekiti

Notably, IPC said this was not the first time Sodeeq Atanda had faced police harassment.

Earlier, on September 9, 2025, the Ekiti State Police Command detained the journalist for more than eight hours after he honoured a police invitation to Ado-Ekiti.

According to IPC, the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Eribo, ordered the detention. Therefore, the organisation said the pattern raises serious concerns.

IPC Warns of Growing Pattern of Intimidation

Meanwhile, IPC warned that repeated actions against Atanda reflect a growing pattern of intimidation against journalists.

In addition, the organisation stated that targeting journalists’ families places innocent lives at risk. More importantly, it stressed that democracy cannot thrive where journalists work under fear and pressure.

IPC Director Recalls Dark Military Era

Reacting to the incident, IPC Executive Director Mr Lanre Arogundade compared the development to abuses during Nigeria’s military era.

For instance, he recalled how security agents under the Abacha regime arrested Mrs Ladi Olorunyomi and her infant son while placing a bounty on her husband, journalist Dapo Olorunyomi.

According to him, the latest incident mirrors that dark chapter in Nigeria’s history. Therefore, he said such actions have no place in a democratic society.

Police Urged to Uphold Constitutional Duties

Finally, the SPJ Hub reminded the Nigeria Police Force of its constitutional duty to protect lives and property.

In contrast, IPC stated that arresting journalists’ family members violates that responsibility. Accordingly, the organisation urged police authorities to end all forms of harassment against journalists and their families.

In conclusion, IPC also called for accountability for officers involved in the incident.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Sprezzatura Publishing to Unveil Book on Mandatory Military Service, Sparks National Conversation

Published

on

By

Sprezzatura Publishing to Unveil Book on Mandatory Military Service, Sparks National Conversation

By Auwal Ahmad Umar

Sprezzatura Publishing Ltd. has announced plans to officially present its new book, “Serving the Nation: Exploring Mandatory Military Service for Nigerian Youths,” which promises to be a thought-provoking engagement on national development and youth responsibility.

The presentation is scheduled to be held on February 20, 2026, at 10:00 a.m. at the 3Js Hotel, with policymakers, academics, security experts, youth leaders, and members of the public expected to attend.

Sprezzatura Publishing to Unveil Book on Mandatory Military Service, Sparks National Conversation

Speaking with newsmen ahead of the event, the Managing Director of the company, Dr Abubakar Muhammad Sani, described the forthcoming launch as more than just a book presentation.

According to him, the publication is designed to stimulate constructive debate around the growing calls for compulsory military service for Nigerian youths.“This book does not impose a position on Nigerians,” he explained. “Rather, it encourages critical thinking about patriotism, discipline, unity, and the broader responsibilities of young people in nation-building.

“We want citizens to carefully reflect on the possible social, economic and political implications of such a policy.”

Dr Sani noted that Nigeria’s youthful population remains one of its greatest assets, stressing that any discussion about mandatory service must be approached thoughtfully and inclusively.

A major highlight of the program will be a panel discussion featuring authors and key stakeholders.

The session is expected to provide a platform for open dialogue, exchange of perspectives, and practical suggestions on strengthening national service structures and youth participation in governance and development.

The Sperazzatura boss said that the event aims to spark meaningful conversations about citizenship, shared responsibility, and innovative strategies for advancing national cohesion.As anticipation builds, the book presentation is shaping up to be an engaging forum for Nigerians passionate about the country’s future and the empowerment of its young generation.

Continue Reading

National News

International Day Against Extremism: BRAVE-IT Urges Unity, Smarter Security as Nigeria Battles Terror

Published

on

By

International Day Against Extremism: BRAVE-IT Urges Unity, Smarter Security as Nigeria Battles Terror

By Auwal Ahmad Umar

As the world marked the International Day for the Prevention of Violent Extremism as and when it is conducive to terrorism, the National Coordinator of Building Resilience Against Violent Extremism, Insurgency and Terrorism (BRAVE-IT), Dr AK Peters, has called for stronger national unity, improved security strategies, and deeper community resilience to confront Nigeria’s persistent security challenges.

Speaking to commemorate the United Nations-designated day, Dr Peters said the occasion was not just a ceremonial observance but a moment for renewed national commitment to safeguard lives and defend shared values.

He lamented that Nigeria continues to grapple with terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, and insurgency across several regions, particularly in the Northeast, Northwest, and parts of the North-Central.

According to him, attacks on civilians, abductions of schoolchildren, ambushes on security personnel, and destruction of communities represent “crimes against humanity” that threaten the nation’s stability and collective future.

“No ideology or grievance can justify the taking of innocent lives,” he declared, condemning in strong terms the wave of violent attacks across the country.

“Violence against civilians is evil, and the recruitment of young people into extremist networks is a direct assault on our shared humanity.”

While condemning the perpetrators, Dr. Peters emphasised that prevention requires more than words.

He urged the Federal Government and security agencies to adopt more intelligence-driven, technology-enabled, and community-based strategies to counter evolving threats.

The National Coordinator advocated increased investment in surveillance systems, border security, deradicalisation initiatives, and improved welfare for security personnel.

At the same time, he acknowledged the sacrifices of the Armed Forces, the Nigeria Police Force, the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and local vigilante groups.

He acknowledged that numerous officers have sacrificed their lives in the line of duty and demanded ongoing national support for their efforts.

Dr Peters also highlighted the importance of international collaboration, particularly partnerships between Nigeria and the United States in counterterrorism training, intelligence sharing, and capacity building.

Violent extremism, he said, is a transnational threat that requires coordinated global action.

However, he stressed that security operations alone cannot defeat extremism.

According to him, poverty, marginalisation, injustice, and lack of opportunity create fertile grounds for radicalisation. Through BRAVE-IT, he said the focus remains on strengthening resilience within families, schools, faith institutions, and local communities.

He urged community leaders, parents, and civil society groups to remain vigilant, encourage critical thinking among youths, and reject narratives that promote hate and division.

“Silence enables violence. Unity defeats it,” he stated, calling on Nigerians to report suspicious activities and refuse to provide safe haven to criminal elements.

Dr. Peters further appealed to political leaders to avoid politicising insecurity, noting that violent extremism does not discriminate based on party, tribe, or religion.

“When violence strikes, it strikes Nigeria,” he said, urging bipartisan cooperation to develop a sustainable national security framework beyond election cycles.

Reaffirming BRAVE–IT’s commitment to prevention, rehabilitation, and reintegration programs, he called on all stakeholders, including government institutions, civil society organisations, the private sector, and international partners, to work collectively to dismantle extremist networks and restore peace.

“History will judge our generation not by the size of the threats we faced, but by the unity we forged in confronting them,” Dr Peters said.

He expressed optimism that through collaboration, resilience, and shared resolve, Nigeria can overcome violent extremism and secure a future where citizens live without fear.

Continue Reading

National News

SYEF Warns Against Dragging Gov. Ahmed Aliyu into TikToker Car Gift Controversy

Published

on

By

SYEF Warns Against Dragging Gov. Ahmed Aliyu into TikToker Car Gift Controversy

By Umar Ahmad

The Sokoto Youth Emancipation Front (SYEF) has cautioned critics and commentators to stop linking Governor Ahmed Aliyu to the controversy surrounding the reported donation of a car to a Kaduna-based TikToker, Rahama Saidu.

Addressing journalists in Sokoto, the group’s leader, Comrade Hamisu Sani, described the alleged gesture by one Sanin Jaman as a private act that should not be associated with the governor or the Sokoto State Government.

Sani noted that while acts of charity are welcome, tying such gestures to the name of the governor sends the wrong message about the state’s priorities, especially at a time when many residents are grappling with serious socio-economic challenges.

He emphasised that the Ahmed Aliyu administration has consistently demonstrated a commitment to supporting vulnerable people through structured programs and targeted interventions. According to him, portraying Sokoto as a place where publicity-driven gestures take precedence over urgent needs does not reflect the reality of the government’s efforts.

The SYEF leader acknowledged that the state requires increased charitable support but stressed that such interventions must be properly coordinated to ensure they reach those who need them most. He encouraged philanthropists to collaborate with relevant government agencies or credible organisations capable of identifying and addressing priority areas.

Sani pointed out that Sokoto hosts numerous vulnerable groups, including internally displaced persons affected by banditry, as well as impoverished residents within the metropolis who require immediate assistance. He argued that the resources reportedly used for the car donation could have made a more meaningful impact if they were channelled toward improving the welfare of these groups.

The group further appealed to wealthy individuals to align their philanthropic efforts with the developmental agenda of the state, encouraging them to complement ongoing initiatives aimed at improving the living conditions of citizens, particularly the poor and vulnerable.

SYEF also warned against actions capable of tarnishing the image of Governor Ahmed Aliyu, insisting that the alleged car donation, if it indeed took place, was carried out without the knowledge or approval of the Sokoto State Government or the governor himself.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025. Northeast Magazine, All Right Reserved..